Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Little Things

This past two weekends I have held garage sales to help raise money for my new business. I want to take a few minutes to share a story with you about an interaction I had with my first buyer.

Honestly, I am broke right now so the garage sale has really helped. In order to gain the most publicity for my sale, I posted an ad on Craigslist advertising my sale with the dates and times and a list of what I have available. Two days before the event a man responded to my ad inquiring about a set of weights I had available. Weights are generally pretty expensive and he needed a few sets for his wife who was rehabilitating her wrists and arms. He wanted to know if I would be able to sell the weights to him prior to the garage sale and of course I said "absolutely!" We set a time to meet later that day.



The jolly (that is the best word to describe him) man called me ahead of time to let me know that he was down the street and cracked a joke about how he is at Krispy Kreme and he's on his way to pick up exercise equipment. I was excited to meet him not only to earn the money for the weights, but because I truly enjoy meeting people who are enthusiastic and exude happiness.

He arrived on time and handed me a stack of bills totalling $15 more than what we had agreed (which was $25 more than what I had originally requested, he insisted to pay more than what I asked.) I must have looked puzzled because the man let out a chuckle and said, "I knew you would need some change for your sale so I made a stop at the bank for you." I thanked him probably three to five times and shook his hand and he was on his way. It was so thoughtful I had a thought just to give him the weights and not accept any money, but I really am in need of it so I graciously accepted.

It truly made my week so I wanted to make sure I shared this with everyone. It wasn't about him giving me extra money, it was the thought behind his actions. The fact that he stopped at the bank and asked for a variation of bills so that I wouldn't have to make the stop myself. It was touching.


The next weekend at my garage sale, a shopper purchased my microwave. It's a medium sized microwave that is pretty heavy but manageable to carry. Prior to purchasing the microwave, she made a comment on the phone to her husband about not wanting to lug it to her car. After she purchased the microwave, I insisted on carrying the microwave to the buyer's car against her three refusals. At the time, I was just trying to help and do something nice for her and prevent her from having to carry a heavy microwave to her car on a hot day. In the end she was shocked that I was serious when I originally offered and even more so that I made the effort to do it.

It really is the little things that shock people and remind people that there is good in the world.

What are some random acts of kindness you have encountered recently? I would love to hear about them!

Until next time,

Britney


1 comment: