Wednesday, February 27, 2013

"After You"

Holding the door open for other people is such a simple action, but tends to be a forgotten manner. Not only is it a sign of respect, it has the power to make or break someone's mood.

The other day, I was having a rough morning and pulled into the parking lot of the mall I work at about three minutes until I had to clock in. I parked my car, and began speed-walking toward the entrance. As I approached the double doors, a young woman about my age seemed to be on a mission and was heading for the same door. We made eye contact, I smiled at her and paused my step so she could walk ahead of me. She opened the door to the mall with me closely behind her, and let it slam instead of holding the door. I was caught off guard and I hate to admit this but it instantly put me into a grumpy mood.

As I was leaving for the day, I approached the door to exit the mall. A little boy wearing a bright red super hero cape sprinted ahead of me, pried the glass door open and proudly held it open with a big cheesy grin on his face while several adults walked through the door, thanking the generous young man. It was the cutest thing I have ever seen. It made my day so much better.

Then it hit me. Hold the door open for someone is a powerful, yet subtle gesture.

Here's the challenge: For one whole day, open the door for someone each time you enter or exit a door with another person. If you feel like being a Kindness Super Hero, and the person is slightly ahead of you, run ahead of them and open the door for them. Try and challenge yourself to get into a habit of this, and you'll be surprised at the reactions you get.

:)


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment