Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Flower Power

 Flower Power


I apologize for my lack of photos on this next one, I just couldn't wait until next week to post it!

Here goes:

Recently, I logged on to Facebook and someone had posted a picture of a rose on their windshield with a caption that it was from a stranger and it totally made her day. 

This next random act of kindness is inspired by the sweet gesture of giving flowers to someone you love. Of course, we won't be giving flowers to someone we love, we will be surprising someone who least expects it: a stranger.

Materials: 
  • Flowers: Individual stems or a bouquet.
  • A piece of paper or card
  • Ribbon
  • Optional: Tissue paper
    Instructions:
    • Write a nice note on the card and attach the card to the flower with a piece of ribbon
    • Leave the flower(s) on a random windshield in a parking lot.
    • Walk away
      If you have a garden and can spare a few, go ahead and cut some flowers. You can also stop at your local dollar store and purchase some pretty faux flowers for (wait for it...) a dollar. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, that is where I recommend purchasing real flowers.You can usually get about six stems for just a few dollars and they are locally grown. The goal is to do as many random acts of kindness as possible, so feel free to leave more than one person this small gift.

      I purchased my flowers (six of them) and with my leftover cards from Michael's, I wrote "Have a Beautiful Day" in each card. I didn't want the note to seem too personal, or give anyone the wrong idea (thinking along the lines of a secret admirer or mistress.. I was slightly afraid of having the opposite effect on someone's day by starting an argument with their significant other.) With a hole punch, I punched a hole in the corner of the card and attached it to the flower with some ribbon. I was out of tissue paper, but you could also wrap some tissue paper around the flower before tying the ribbon to make it a little fancier. I will probably do this next time, because I think the extra step makes it look more extravagant.

      I work at a mall, so there are a lot of cars to choose from. On my way into work, I stopped at a few cars and placed the flower on their windshields, careful not to let anyone-especially the driver-see me do this. This time, I didn't stick around to see the outcome, but I have a good feeling someone appreciated their surprise.




      Once again, I would love to know how many people have participated in this, and also for suggestions on future acts of kindness. 
      Stay tuned next Monday for our next act of kindness!




      Have a beautiful day!

      No comments:

      Post a Comment